Korfball.com Forums - Viewing Message
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Report Abuse
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Korfball Discussion
 England u16 world cup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 3
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Peter
World Class

United Kingdom
749 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  09:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Just thought I would start this thread to wish Danny, Heidi, Lisa + whole squad 'Good luck ' when competing this coming weekend.

With a relatively young squad I'm sure they will do their country proud.
This tournament can certainly be the catalyst to a good international career.

Enjoy the experience!

Looking forward to hear how well they have done .

Pete

Korfball's No.1 DJ & Entertainment Maestro
Catch me on www.citysoundz.co.uk
or
www.mitchamkorfball.co.uk

kp
Star Player

United Kingdom
234 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Great to hear from you Pete. It will mean a lot to the squad to know you are still supporting them.
Hope you are well.
Karenx

Go to Top of Page

steve
World Class

Netherlands
1316 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  22:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
good luck to everyone going.

there is a massive change in the squad this year from players to coaches and managers so a learning curve for all and i hope a great experience

Go to Top of Page

Steve Barker
KorfballNet.com

USA
3254 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  02:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Steve Barker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
I was hugely impressed at the great job Danny did as an assistant coach with the Junior national squad and I'm really pleased to see him leading the U16 squad in the YTWC

The squad could not be in better hands

I'll be keeping a look out for the results

Good luck to everyone involved

Go to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1873 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  19:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Well, good luck in getting in the first two of the group, I will see how they do, as I will be there on the first day.

Think different - KorfballGo to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1873 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  22:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
They needed A LOT of luck and they just didn't have that.

Steve Barker
KorfballNet.com

USA
3254 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  03:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Steve Barker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Not sure it is a matter of luck or lack of it and it comes down to the technical, tactical, athletic and mental skills of the players.

England lost 9 - 4 to the Czech's, 16 - 3 to Chinese Taipei, 16 - 7 to Belgium, and our old adversaries the Netherlands South 6 - 3 which is just 17 goals in 2 hours of Korfball. At this level well short of what is needed and although we only have the results to go on it looks as though our shooting, or finishing, let us down.

This was a tough group but in past years we would have fielded out bench against the likes of the Czech Republic at this level. It may well be that we have a young side compared to our opponents which may explain the performances?

Assuming we beat Hungary and Russia tomorrow we should face the Czech's again in the 5th/6th play off. The Germans look to have had an easy ride into the semi and it is likely that the top 4 positions will simply reflect those at all other age groups at international level with the Dutch winning, Belgium coming second and Chinese Taipei taking the bronze.

A disappointing first day for sure but I know that Danny will be doing everything he can to ensure we at least finish in 5th.

It will be interest to read any feedback from anyone who is there and my concern is that we may have taken our eye off the ball slightly in terms of talent development and forgotten just what it took to get us into our position in the U16 and U19 world rankings.

Let hope that the squad can bounce back tomorrow

Go to Top of Page

Heidi Terrington
Hot Prospect

12 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  05:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Day 2 – – Update from the Under 16 Squad
England faced 4 very tough games today and without doubt are in the hardest group, with other countries who like us have a new squad at this competition being placed in the other group.

The captain band was handed to Tom Holder along with the massive flag and pole – we certainly looked the part in the opening ceremony! Throughout the day Tom acted on and off the pitch in the way a proper captain should; Leading by example, encouraging his team and making sure everyone knew where they needed to be and when.

In every game our communication was good, they all needed to find their loudest voices in conditions (size of the hall, background noise from the other teams and spectators etc) that some of our players were not used too . However each game consisted of 2 very different halves, in the second half of every game, our confidence grew, our movement and passing improved, but the only thing that let us down was finishing our chances; ( in one game we had 42 shots and scored 3! our shots hit every part of the korf but would not drop. On a positive note the goals came from 12 of our 16 players showing that the whole team were capable of creating shooting opportunities in these tough games.

Even though the games were physical and mentally challenging for our squad they never gave up. For some of our players lessons had to be learnt the hard way as the level of this competition suddenly hit home. Some struggled with their emotions and the tears fell for some, but we are a team and the support for one another showed the team togetherness that Danny and Heidi wanted to see.

Even though some of the score lines showed big defeats, it does not reflect how the way the players performed and everyone has got something positive out of the games today that we are going to take into tomorrow’s games against Russia and Hungary and we are aiming to finish in the top 6!.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1873 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  10:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
As I was there the first day... The squad is clearly young, most players are fairly short and slightly less athletic compared to earlier years. I see basic technical errors in various players. One girl was throwing almost everything with two hands, even under big pressure, and when throwing with one hand, she made the 'flapping elbow', to give an example. Also many forced shots were taken. Compare that with the Czechs having a stronger side this year with one strong, functional 'Bear', and you see where the losses come from.

The Russians perform better than I expected beforehand, so that will be an equal game against them. Actually, the result is in: 3-3 half time and 5-7 victory for England. Also a 2-5 half time score against Hungary, who drew 5-5 against the Czechs. With the second halves often seeing the losing side fighting back, I am curious about the final score there.

You are out of luck to have the Czechs in that group instead of Hungary, for your first day ranking. In the final ranking, you will end up the same, where I think the Czechs will prove to be stronger again. But then, this is a likely result of the chosen system of using cycles.

I saw one bright star in the English squad, and I think she will be a winner in time.

Steve Barker
KorfballNet.com

USA
3254 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2012 :  05:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Steve Barker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
So England managed to have a strong second day with wins over Russia and Hungary but Russia's defeat of The Czech Republic means we finish in 7th place out of what is effectively 8 teams.

Marc's comments suggest the England side was a young one and clearly they and the coaching team will have benefited greatly from the experience. Not sure if we will drop a place in the rankings and the key now will be to ensure we are able to continue the momentum in terms of development we have gathered in recent years at this age group to avoid us falling further behind the top three.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1873 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2012 :  11:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Yes, a young squad. And they drew against Hungary after the half time lead. As Hungary drew against both England and Czechs on the second day, Russia profited maximally and got to play for fifth place, which they lost by one goal.

Topic is 3 Pages Long:
  1  2  3

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

© Korfball.com 2000-2012

Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 1.16 secs.