Korfball.com Forums - Viewing Message
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Report Abuse
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Korfball Discussion
 Experimental tournaments poll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 3
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Gav
Korfball.com

United Kingdom
3753 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  17:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Gav's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Poll Question:
Arising from Karl's suggestions for a tournament with experimental rules here: http://www.korfball.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=5591

Vote for one of the following...

Experiment 1 - No halfway line, standard pitch size, 5 vs 5, players needing to play both attack and defence, unlimited subs. All other rules the same. Open to any team.

Experiment 2 - No rebound block. Any rebound obtained by doing the block would be blown as an offence in a similar fashion to the cutting rule. The idea being to encourage tactical creativity and athleticism e.g. run-on collects, hard drives to the post prior to shots going up etc. Open to teams at top local league division and above - I'm interested in seeing what the more skilled and tactically sophisticated players would do if we take this option away, no point banning a move that newer/less experienced teams might not be using yet anyway.

Experiment 3 - Change to the scoring system - 2 points for a goal within a two metre radius of the post, 2 points for a long range goal (maybe 9-10m out), 1 point for everything else. The idea of this being that spectators like it when people score big longshots or burn past their defenders for short range opportunities (or mug them off at the post for something cheeky). All other rules the same. Open to everyone.

Choices:

Experiment 1
Experiment 2
Experiment 3
Not interested in changing rules
Interested in changing rules, but other ways
Don't know/care

View Results

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1870 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  01:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
I am shocked that so many people are in favour of experimenting with one of the most crucial elements of our sport, the dividing line. I think this 'rule' has more impact than those people realise.

Think different - KorfballGo to Top of Page

Arnold
World Class

United Kingdom
668 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  08:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Arnold's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
quote:

I am shocked that so many people are in favour of experimenting with one of the most crucial elements of our sport, the dividing line. I think this 'rule' has more impact than those people realise.

Think different - Korfball

Let's stop the thinking, and start the doing!! Only then we will find out if it is worth thinking about it (how, when, where, who).

Karl, go for it!!

Arnold
http://www.edinburghkorfball.co.uk/Go to Top of Page

AnnaT
Star Player

471 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  20:54:24  Show Profile  Visit AnnaT's Homepage  Send AnnaT an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
I think it's a fantastic idea to have a tournament with experimental rules. Great way to evaluate what the effects of rule changes are, over a short and intense period of time.

www.croydonkorfball.co.uk
Croydon Tournament at Royal Russell School on Sunday June 26thGo to Top of Page

koosh
World Class

United Kingdom
739 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  23:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
quote:

Think different - Korfball

Marc - this isn't about fundamentally changing the rules for all time, it's about having one tournament in the calendar with different rules.

If it really changes the feel of the game as much as you say it does then we'll only find out for certain by giving it a try.

-----------------------
http://www.mitchamkorfball.co.uk
http://www.highburykorfball.comGo to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1870 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  01:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Koos, I can read. But this rule is fundamental, so don't tamper with it for 'experimenting'. It's already bad enough that there are those brainiacs in the Dutch Federation that come up with this.

Steve Barker
KorfballNet.com

USA
3245 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  02:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Steve Barker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
There is a big difference between making adjustments to the way the game is played at tournament, which in the UK are now in the main played for fun, and the changes to the sport at the highest levels by the IKF 'brainiacs' as Marc calls them

The tournament scene in the UK has largely been quite dull since the fun teams with quirky names model replaced the competition between clubs one so anything new is worth a try, whether it be 4 v 4, 2 v 4, 3 zone, or end to end matches, or simply changes to the rules.

Changing the game at the higher level is a much more complex issue and historically the Dutch have been very averse to change.

A small group of progressive thinking clubs in the Netherlands, Belgium and England pushed to switch the game from 3 zone Korfball to 2 zone but this was largely resisted by Dutch Korfball, but once the Belgians made the switch the Dutch (and then England) finally reluctantly made the change.

In the following years some progressives in Belgian Korfball began to argue for changes to 'modernise' the sport and their ideas ranged from introducing time outs to a relaxing of the restrictions on substitutes but again Dutch Korfball has been slow to embrace change.

The KNKV have used the Korfball challenge to experiment with rule changes in recent years but few have been adopted and of course the shot clock was only introduced to stop the game being slowly choked to death by the pedestrian rebound blocking tactics that had widely infected most of the sport

The problem for Korfball is that in essence modern top level Korfball is a very different product from the sport designed for schoolchildren and this is something that we need to be accepting if we are to move forward.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1870 Posts
Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  12:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Steve, to be clear: I am not talking about IKF people, but KNKV people. IKF is more 'conservative' in these issues, and to me very good that they are.

jif
World Class

United Kingdom
1863 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  09:18:17  Show Profile  Visit jif's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
I don't understand why you are so opposed to this Marc?

It would be for an out of season tournament that would most likely be non-eka sanctioned. So therefore would have little bearing on uk competition and absolutely no impact on world korfball at all. It would be for fun.

One of my personal favourite training exercises was playing with 12 players. Four attacking four, if you scored you kept possession and attacked the other end if the defence turned it over they attacked the opposite end. Essentially 3 seperate teams of 4.

I'd enjoy a tournament in that structure.

sicknote
World Class

United Kingdom
601 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  10:44:48  Show Profile  Visit sicknote's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
quote:

One of my personal favourite training exercises was playing with 12 players. Four attacking four, if you scored you kept possession and attacked the other end if the defence turned it over they attacked the opposite end. Essentially 3 seperate teams of 4.

I'd enjoy a tournament in that structure.

I think that would be great too! It would make for an awesome tournament :) Perhaps if not a whole tournament, at least a small section of the day for this.

www.croydonkorfball.com
www.sv-velocitas.nlGo to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1870 Posts
Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  11:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Jif, a fun tournament is something different than 'experimenting'. When you announce an 'experiment', to me you want to see what results there are and if it is useful to use further on. And this experiment is one that I see at ripping out korfball's guts.

The 12 player variation you talk about is something I use on trainings when I don't have enough players, I call it ABC-korfball (3 squads/zones, A, B and C). For serious training it has the problem that you can't start with a 4-0 in the way you like, for fun I think it is fine. The positive side over one zone korfball is that you have to get the right of attack (you intercept the ball as defence), so this core element of korfball remains intact.

Topic is 3 Pages Long:
  1  2  3

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Korfball.com 2000-2012

Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.91 secs.