Korfball.com Forums - Viewing Message
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Report Abuse
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Korfball Discussion
 Juniors korfball - who's playing where ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Korfball Kathy
Star Player

United Kingdom
335 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  11:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Hi All,

Just trying to get a picture of what junior teams are currently out there.

In Nottingham we have one juniors section - Nottingham Falcons Youth Korfball - who are basically the juniors for Nottingham KC. We have about 15 U9/U11 boys and no girls!!!! We have equipment in five local primary schools and hope teachers will play more once the weather gets better (primary schools have small halls that seem to be in use most of the time!)

We have one other local non-university team - Nottingham Magic - who, though the club is nearly seven years old, have yet to start up juniors. They play in the EMKL, but hope to get promotion to CERL 2 soon. (And I'm still hoping that they'll one day get a juniors club together. They'll have ready made local opposition! That can only be good for both clubs.)

Leicester Tornadoes, I believe, have one school playing korfball, but it makes playing competitive matches impossible, because they are school based and restricted by red tape (will junior schools arrange w/e or evening matches?) And I've just read on their website that they are actively looking to start some juniors - the Twisters - hooray!!!

I know of CaNKorf (Crewe and Nantwich) who like us have a few U9/U11 children and of course Milton Keynes - but I don't know their player numbers or age groups.

I know of Tornadoes in Kent and that there are Junior Leagues in Kent too! (Check out Kent under 'Local Leagues' on the EKA website!)

We need a pinboard/directory of juniors teams and more juniors club news on the EKA website and club websites too!

So, who are you and where are you playing

Korfball Kathy

Nottingham K.C.

Lead Coach for Nottingham Falcons Youth Korfball, based at Rushcliffe Arena, West Bridgford Nottingham, NG2 7HY, (though we often arrange games around the seniors, who play their matches at Jesse Boot Wildcats Arena, Greenwood Road, Nottingham, NG3 7EB).

PS I guess a lot of this info was reported in the EKA survey that happened last year. When will we hear about the results or actions planned based on the results?

Edited by - Korfball Kathy on 24 Feb 2012 12:57:36

Jellyfish
Hot Prospect

United Kingdom
19 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  12:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Just to further.... yes! CaNKorf have some juniors....

We have junior training directly before adult training and regularly (during term times) have between 10 and 14 kids, aged between 8 and 14, girls outnumbering boys! This drops during holidays though- although to be expected I'm guessing!

I know that there going to be/ is at the moment work afoot in Cardiff/ South Wales to introduce into schools/ to juniors- so fingers crossed it takes off!

All of our juniors are very keen to have "proper" matches however we do struggle with logistics as many parents are reluctant to have them travel long distances, but we keep trying- and a massive thanks to you Kathy for your offers of competitions over in Nottingham since it's pretty much our closest bet for fixtures.

Eleanor

www.crewekorfball.co.uk
www.staffs.korfball.org.ukGo to Top of Page

korf88
World Class

United Kingdom
537 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  23:06:27  Show Profile  Visit korf88's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
The Milton Keynes youth programme is called MKX and is part of MK City which is an umbrella for several adult 'sub clubs'. We run 4 junior club sessions.

The U9s have 10 boys and 1 girl.

The U11s have 12 boys and 8 girls.

The U13s have 7 boys and 4 girls.

The U16s have 6 boys and 5 girls.

We aim to have 25 at each session - so some way to go.

Our U16s play in our adult 2nd Division.

We have two secondary schools where the PE staff play and run korfball in PE and ASCs for most students. 4 other secondary schools play some korfball, hopefully with the summer term this will pick up as secondaries tend to run korfball as the summer invasion game.

We have worked in around a dozen primary schools this school year. This is lower than previous years to date as we don't have the cash anymore to do it all for free. We do hope to work with 10-15 primary schools in the summer term and host a tournament in July for 20 primary schools. There are 10 primary schools and 5 secondary schools with teachers with L1 qualifications and 2 secondaries with L2 qualifications. There are 6 primary and 4 secondary schools with teachers who play korfball in teams.

We run a schools league for Key Stage 2 every Friday. 3 teams play one week and 3 others play the next week. There are actually only 4 schools plus MKX playing every week. My hope was for KS2 league to have 8 teams and also a league for KS3 - which didn't happen. But the secondary schools have run tournaments without us. I hope the summer schools tournament will have 5 or 6 teams in it.

We are making some progress but not nearly enough for the time and effort but we will see. The summer term is by far the best term to develop korfball in schools. The schools don't want 3 terms of any sport. Most schools only want 1/2 a term. We hope to get a very positive full term of korfball after Easter.

We are also fortunate that Harrow has grown its juniors quickly and with quality. We are taking U13s down there this Sunday and we will have played 4 or 5 times by season end. Harrow have larger club numbers than us at the younger ages and run tournaments for their schools.

We aim to take teams to Manchester, Nomads, NYD and will be hosting at Korfstock on 14th July.

In a couple of years our aim is for 2 club sessions for each age group with 25 members in each (200 players) and 20 primary and 6 secondary schools with ASCs. I say that in a bold manner but it is achievable, however I said something similar two years ago and we aren't even half way there. But giving our U11s and U16s games most weeks is a great step forward. If we had more coaches and a bit more activists / organisers, then we would get there easily. I believe korfball is known enough and in demand enough in Milton Keynes to make it happen. I also believe that we will see real growth in 5 to 10 years, not 2 to 3. I also believe other areas can do the same and given the far higher numbers of quality players and coaches that they can far exceed MK. Go on - do it.

Cheers
DARREN

www.korfballinmk.co.uk

we've got lots of roundabouts - lots of korfball too!Go to Top of Page

Chris_W
Squad Player

32 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  00:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Cambridgeshire currently has 3 SERL teams with Junior Sections namely Cambridge City, Cambridge Tigers and Ely Vikings. The numbers fluctuate from year to year however there are ~70 junior players I would guess between them.

There are also at least 4 primary schools with active Korfball clubs in them that I am aware of.

Cambridgeshire has also recently established an under-13 academy to give 11-13 year olds more advanced training, with dual ambitions being to increase technical skills and also to try and improve retention rates in the sport.

Most of these numbers are included in most Areas 'Area Development Plans' I think.

Go to Top of Page

Korfball Kathy
Star Player

United Kingdom
335 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  11:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Thanks for the replies folks!

Good to hear about how clubs and teams are doing and how they intend to progress.

I'm really pleased to see that Leicester are seriously planning for club-based juniors and are targeting the age groups we currently have (U9/U11). We look forward to playing some matches later this summer?

If anyone saw us at the MGV in Nottingham in December, they would have seen our ingeniously adapted bibs, so that we can play as boys / girls. We have a red set and a blue set. Each set has 4 bibs with 'x' crosses, front and back, and 4 without! It makes end of training matches much easier to ref

Eleanor - Yes, we struggle to travel too, we've not made it to your place yet! I think this is a big hurdle for many junior teams.

Darren - Thanks for your detailed reply. We'll have to try and arrange weekly korf matches after school, between the schools that have posts, as well as a tournament.

Do you play the weekly matches all year round, or just the summer term? What format/ schedule do you use ? I'm guessing 3 x 15 mins games, no half time, mini-korf? For both U9's and U11's, separate age groups, playing simultaneously, so it takes about an hour to do, all told? Or do you lump your U9's in with the U11's and play proper korf? Please let me know!

Chris W. - I like your academy idea ! We need more baseline numbers before we could set one up though.

Keep on Korfin'

Korfball Kathy x

Edited by - Korfball Kathy on 21 Feb 2012 11:14:51Go to Top of Page

korf88
World Class

United Kingdom
537 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  12:33:30  Show Profile  Visit korf88's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Hi Kathy

Friday 'league' matches are played between 3 teams. Each team plays their opponents twice - so 4 games for each team and a total of 6 matches. We have a hall booking from 4-6pm. Each player pays 2 or 3 (the schools pay less but don't tell anyone).

We have two schools and MKX playing in Series A one week and two different schools and MKX playing Series B the following week. We don't play every week as once every six weeks we play a U9 tournament.

At U11 we play full 8v8 and at U9 we play 4v4.

The original plan was to have 5 teams each Friday and to play 4 games per team at 10 mins games and points awarded 10 first place, 7 second place, 5 for third, 3 for 4th, 2 for 5th and maybe 1 if we got to a sixth team. We then hoped for Series A winners to play Series B winners for a prize of kit and a post. We started in September and will finish in April. So we wanted 10 or 12 teams and got 5! Hopefully we will do better next year. But we have about 60 x U11s playing fairly regular matches (once pcm for most). Not too bad but some way to go.

Our U13s don't get such opportunities I am afraid as the secondary schools have not engaged as well - but we should be playing some matches against schools after Easter.

Nottingham is only 90 mins - so maybe some matches between us would work at some point. Maybe you could bring players to the Leicester tournament and we can play for a couple of hours.

Best wishes
DARREN

www.korfballinmk.co.uk

we've got lots of roundabouts - lots of korfball too!Go to Top of Page

Matt Von Leicester
Star Player

United Kingdom
228 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  12:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Leicester now has two schools playing!

We are trying to build a Sport England programme of our own so we are looking for more but since they are virtually on the same road they are going to use the same facilities!

If anyone has any equipment they don't need/willing to sell cheap it would be great to get them kitted out.

However, we have recently seen huge success workign with scouts and guides. We have run two sessions this year but through word of mouth now have another 4 bookings so we are hoping a snowball effect will continue and we are hoping to arrange a big event with the scouts big wigs in the area to run a tournament alongside our senior one where scout and guide groups combine to form teams.

Once we then have a couple of hundred kids involved we can start talking to parents and hopefully launch a club.

It's slow progress but definitely progress.

Korfball's Unofficial Number 1 DJ and EntertainerGo to Top of Page

kev_moss
Star Player

United Kingdom
227 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  17:37:30  Show Profile  Visit kev_moss's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Firstly may i say...

WHY DON'T ALL THESE YOUTH TEAMS ENTER THE YOUTH CHAMPSIONSHIPS IN MANCHESTER IN MAY (see http://www.korfball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5552 for the forum page)

Manchester is seeing steady growth of the sport in its junior ranks. Korfball has been introduced into about 20 primary schools over the last year and there are about 5 schools having regular sessions at the moment. I am predicting that by the end of summer this year another 30schools in the North West will have been introduced to Korfball.

Now demand and awareness of the sport has increased there are steps being made to create junior clubs however it is more of a "watch this space". Very exciting though!

It is great to see that so many people are working hard to introduce and develop Korfball within younger people, I am sure the hard work that they put in is rarely appreciated. It is true though WE NEED MORE HELP!

If anyone wishes any professional assistance please get in touch! (unfortuntely I dont work for free!)

Kev Moss

www.kidskorf.co.ukGo to Top of Page

Korfball Kathy
Star Player

United Kingdom
335 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  11:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Kev, what about our 'boys only' status? We are actively trying to find girls and have some lined up for September, my daughter will be 7 and we know of some other girls who will be changing from Rainbows to Brownies, so Tuesdays will be do-able for them.

Could we enter an all boys U11 side and an all boys U9 side? We'd bring our bibs to help the refs!

Korfball Kathy

Nottingham K.C.

Go to Top of Page

franks
World Class

United Kingdom
573 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  13:15:00  Show Profile  Visit franks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Can those who have commented here please get in touch with me at Frank.Sieber@blueyonder.co.uk and perhaps we can start some kind of dialogue that just might get the ball rolling as I don't have everyone's contact detail.

Clearly everyone is working very hard - maybe I can help facilitate and make some positive suggestions.

I had hoped to start this earlier in the year, but circumstances prevented this.

Go to Top of Page

franks
World Class

United Kingdom
573 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  13:18:15  Show Profile  Visit franks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Just to add that I'm also available to meet with everyone at a central location if this would be helpful.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Korfball.com 2000-2012

Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.56 secs.