Korfball.com Forums - Viewing Message
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Report Abuse
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Korfball Discussion
 World Championships 2011
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 25
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
tombrady
Star Player

United Kingdom
369 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  07:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
quote:
Better than the famous Toga party at the end of the 1989 World Games Tom ????

I deliberately used the word probably Steve because it is so hard to judge. I remember the 1989 Toga Party very well. It certainly was a classic and I would say number 1 for incident. (I retell the Bram van der Zee toga story often.) It definitely wins in the 'No proper party arranged - Make your won fun' category. Another contender for overall best party is Rotterdam 2003 Baha Beach Club.

quote:
I half suspect that this tournament might be Australia's last!

Scuba with the rise of China and Hong Kong I think it might not be long before Asia gets another guaranteed place at the WC. I hope so anyway.

I forgot to say that I am delighted for Steve Jones who had a good game in the final. It was a fantastic achievement to make the final and he did himself (and all the English/Welsh refs) proud.

-------
http://www.beckorfball.co.ukGo to Top of Page

amturnabout
New Player

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  10:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
here is picture of the 2011 All Star Team - mention to daughter (Amy Turner)who had such a good tournament, reliable and consistent throughout the competition scoring some amazing shots. So proud wanted to share this. It was brilliant to attain 5th place.

http://english.sxkorfball2011.com/show.asp?Type=2&id=124

Shame the hotel was so far away I could not see her collect this.

Go to Top of Page

Beth
Star Player

United Kingdom
348 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  17:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Thats fantastic! Well done, Amy!!!

BethGo to Top of Page

MickeyM
Star Player

United Kingdom
116 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  19:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Well done Amy.

quote:
So proud wanted to share this

And why not a very proud moment for Amy,you and your family.

Well done to the whole squad,coach and backroom staff.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Barker
KorfballNet.com

USA
3174 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  21:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Steve Barker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Great to see Amy receiving such a great recognition at the highest level

Go to Top of Page

Marc
KorfballWorld.com

Netherlands
1789 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  23:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Marc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Tom, I am actually surprised that England is not yet higher in the ranking than Czech Republic, as the English youth teams have been outperforming them for some years now. At the 2010 U16 Talent Cup, the Czechs were even absent, looking at the website. In the current ranking England passed Germany and Catalonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKF_World_Korfball_Ranking), and I suspect that next year you will pass Czech Republic also, bringing England in the Top 4, and within Europe directly behind The Netherlands and Belgium. I expect to see England participating in the 2012 Euro top4 tournament then, that is, if it is going to be held... Right now the mentions of what here in The Netherlands is called 'internationals weekend' doesn't look promising.

Since consistently participating in the youth tournaments is of influence of the ranking, I am curious what the effect of China's result here will have on its position on the ranking as they don't send any youth teams to The Netherlands to participate, whereas e.g. Hungary does.

Think different - Korfball : www.korfballworld.com open for the World Championships!Go to Top of Page

tombrady
Star Player

United Kingdom
369 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  07:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Marc, maybe England has already overtaken Czechie. I can't find the specifics of the ranking mechanism but when the next ranking comes out they will have lost all benefit from their 2007 3rd place (and our 7th place finish will have gone from the rankings as well.) Being in the top 4 and any subsequent invites to tournaments would be a real boost.

-------
http://www.beckorfball.co.ukGo to Top of Page

Graham Crafter
World Class

United Kingdom
1053 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  15:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
With respect to rankings within the IKF there are, in fact several.

The main ranking comes from IKF Official Ranking events - defined as WC, u23WC, Continental Champs, u21/23 Continental Champs and the European Bowl and Asian Champs for lower ranked countries. A four year cycle operates, so Tom is right the 2007 IKF WC results are now superseded. Each tournament is given a weighting and the year weighting changes annually (normally Nov) where current year is 1, previous year 0.75, year before that 0.5 and 0.25 before that. The maximum points also vary by event and, to allow different continents to be ranked without a bad comparison with Europe, the maximum points also vary by continent. Teams who participated in qualification events but did not play the final round are also 'placed' (which for the IKF WC would be from 17th downwards) otherwise the rankings become too distorted. The only exception to this is the WG, so countries not competing will find it harder to progress but I've not thought of a way round this yet.

The new ranking will be compiled by the end of November (i.e. after I get home from holiday - which I definitely need after two weeks dealing with the Chinese - hitting one's head against a wall is probably less painful as any team manager from the WC will tell you).

I think there is a document explaining this on the IKF web site.

There are separate rankings for u23, u19 and u16 where the annual recognised events in Holland (plus official IKF events for u12/23) are used. performance in previous u16 affects the u19 and previous u19 affects the u21/23 as well. These are used to place teams in pools for the following year's recognised age group events (mind you one often has to chase the hosts for their results).

Go to Top of Page

Steve Barker
KorfballNet.com

USA
3174 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  21:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Steve Barker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
If the Junior and Youth rankings counted towards the main rankings England would be way above the Czechs. At U16 and U19 level they have been unable to even compete with us for many years.

As the group of young players now move through into the senior level we should see England's rankings improve, but the key has to be to try to break through into the top 3

As no doubt many people found out during this Championships a key influence in Chinese culture is the importance of not losing face which means rarely will anyone say 'no' top a request even though that is clearly the only answer.

Go to Top of Page

andyd_7910
Squad Player

20 Posts
Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  15:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Report a problem with this post
Just found these. Might make you feel a bit seasick but its the final nonetheless :)

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eRSbgl6_3o&feature=related

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKnBSZgdyk

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsZBYNnaow

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 25 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: